Monday, April 13, 2009

Les Miserables Review



"What crime did you commit? - Maybe I killed someone... how do you know I'm not going to murder you? -How do you know I'm not going to murder you? - Whats that a joke? - I guess we'll just have to trust each other. - I didn't kill anyone... I'm a thief... I stole food, stole but I payed for it; nineteen years in chains. So they let me out and gave me a yellow passport, what can I do with a yellow passport? I have to go to my parole officer in Dijon and then what, starve to death? (chuckles) Nineteen years and now the real punishment begins. - Men can be unjust - Men not god? Thank you, whoever you are... a meal and a bed to sleep in... a real bed. And in the morning, I'll be a new man."

(about for minuets later in the movie) "And don't forget, don't ever forget. You've promised to become a new man. - Promise... why are you doing this? - Jean Valjean, my brother, you no longer belong to evil. With this silver, I've bought your soul. I've ransomed you from fear and hatred... Now I give you back to god..."

In this movie Liam Neeson plays Jean Valjean, a thief who is on parole after nineteen years in prison for stealing food. The quote up above takes place during dinner, Jean is let into the home of a priest and they talk about his parole, he has to show him his yellow passport before entering their home so they know he is a criminal. He promised to become a new man, that night he steals from the priest and leaves, the guards in the town catch him and he claims the priest gave him the silver he stole. The priest says that he did in fact give him the gold (he didn't of course, but this is necessary information to understand the quote) and the guards release him. Then the priest says to Jean the second quote up above.

Now, normally I would never go this far into a movie, I decided it would be fine in order to get the important quote considering these events happen in the first seven minuets of the movie. It is obviously told in the trailer that he is a thief, so I figured a little elaboration wouldn't hurt.

Lets get in depth with why this movie is good. First off its long, but it holds your interest. That type of movie is for me much more entertaining. Also this movie has Liam Neeson and that should be a rating category in its self. In my opinion Liam Neeson plays an even more Christ like character in this movie than he did in Narnia, where he was playing a character resembling Christ.

I think that any and everyone should see this movie, it is moving and powerful and thought provoking. This is the kind of movie that you can model your life after, and the kind of movie that inspires people like Braveheart or the Pursuit of Happiness. Time to do some math!

Lets see... you pay about five dollars to rent this... but wait! This is the kind of movie that you DO NOT rent, you buy it. This movie can be watched over and over again. Pay twenty dollars for... Liam Neeson... French people... Amazingness... and a message like no other. The only other way you could get this experience is if Liam Neeson was an amazing french pastor. Sadly he is not, so this is what we have to settle for. Twenty divided by good movie minus the Liam Neeson Epicness Discount and the Awesome French Name Discount... Wow if you buy or rent this movie you will come out way on top. I am not at liberty to discuss the specific numbers due to my math being a very complicated ritual, but I can say that this is a movie like no other. I won't be surprised if a clip from it shows up in one of my dad's sermons one of these days, it is such a moving film, It has a unique message for everyone who watches it, I am confident that movie would be meaningful to any person in any situation. If you want to spend your money on an action film or some zombie flick that's your choice, but trust me Les Miserables is a movie that you just have to see.

The ultimate rating would be...

Well I hate to give a movie a ten ten but I honestly can not find a single thing about this movie that I didn't like, there isn't a dull moment in the whole thing... well actually the credits are a little less exciting but hopefully you understand what I mean.

10/10

UPDATE: Oh and by the way sorry this post came late, my computer wouldn't play sound so I had to work with that and then watch the trailer. Check out the blog later for a bit about science and a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment